Nov 292008

Its been a week now since Corbett underwent surgery on his knees. He went into the vet on a Wednesday morning with a planned pick up of Thursday evening or Friday morning.

According to the vet, Corbett had shown model behaviour after his admission, happily letting the vet nurses clip his pelt and administer anesthetic. While he was unconscious the vet was able to deepen his knee groove and tighten his cruciate ligaments making sure that his patellae (knee-caps) would stay in the proper place.

Then he woke up from anaesthetic.

Clansi received multiple phone calls from the head nurse at the animal hospital asking if Corbett sometimes got “a little excited”. Apparently they were having a bit of trouble with him hissing and swiping at anyone who came near his cage and were concerned that the opiate painkillers could be affecting his personality. Corbett can get pretty excited sometimes but it sounded like he just wanted to come home, so pick up was changed from Friday morning to Thursday afternoon

Clansi brought him home and placed his carrier on the floor. Expecting some sort of limping demon I gingerly unzipped the mesh door; only to find a cute, clumsy, loving kitten wanting to rub his head against my hand. He meowed and chirped and settled nicely into his isolation room, purring away happily.

Clansi and I shrugged off this report of bad behaviour as we know just how excitable our little tame leopard can get!

When Clansi took Corbett back a couple of days later for a scheduled check up, the vet wasn’t game to even open the carrier. When a gentle, shy, quiet kitten emerged and let himself be examined with no murmer of protest the vet almost couldn’t believe it! Apparently it had not just been a few swipes and hisses but all out war in the recovery room! To get Corbett into a cage just after full anesthetic they had needed leather gauntlets AND a towl, and no one had been game to go near the cage to check his stiches.

The vet expected us to have difficulty administering Corbett’s anti-inflammatries. Metacam needs to be either put on the cats food OR in the cats mouth right after eating. The first night, Corbett took only a few bites of his drugged food and so we decided to try the syringe method. The first time was a little difficult, but on the third night he went for the syringe like it was filled with cream! Corbett’s interest in the medicine became a problem as he would go for the syringe as soon as he saw it. Clansi had to hide it behind her back so Corbett would eat some of his food first!

His hair is starting to grow back and every day he is walking with more confidance. Two more weeks of confinement and then he is allowed to frolic freely once more, but as he is already honing his escape skills they look like being two long weeks!

Post-op High Five Healing Administering the medicine Less resistance Addiction

  3 Responses to “Corbett’s recovery”

  1. How is the hair growing back now – several weeks after surgery? Did the vet say cruciate ligaments or other ligaments?

  2. His hair is growing back nicely, and the wounds have healed right up.
    It was a cruciate repair.

  3. I think that sort of behavior is sometimes called “‘roid rage” in a different context (not to mention a different species!)

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>